PACU Nursing Job Responsibilities
PACU is an abbreviation for post- anesthesia care unit also referred to as post anesthesia recovery is a vital part of every hospital or any medical care institution. As the name suggests PACU nursing refers to the nursing care of the patients after a surgery i.e. patients recovering from anesthesia. The nurses that form a part of the PACU unit are highly trained nurses who are assigned with many vital responsibilities. These nurses work with the goal of avoiding any post surgical or post anesthesia complications in the condition of the patient.
Sample PACU Nursing Job Responsibilities
- The PACU nurse is responsible for assessing the patient’s condition by checking the vital signs of the patient, taking and recording the patient’s temperature, checking for any signs of pain, monitoring the respiratory system etc.
- The PACU nurse is responsible for prescribing or using her own knowledge of pain medication in case of an emergency.
- The PACU nurse is responsible for changing the dressing of the patient and ensuring the cleanliness of the wound or affected areas so as to avoid any sort of infections.
- It is the responsibility of the PACU nurse to gather as much information about the pre- surgery condition of the patient and prepare a suitable care plan for the respective patient.
- It is the responsibility of the PACU nurse to rouse the patient form anesthesia after the patient has been operated upon.
- It is the responsibility of the PACU nurse to monitoring the recovery of the patient after the anesthesia or the surgery.
- It is the responsibility of the PACU nurse to keep a close record of all the stats of the patient and inform the respective doctor in case of any complications or anomalies.
- The PACU nurse has the responsibility of processing the discharge formalities of the patient.
Category: Nursing Job Responsibilities