Phlebotomy Technician Job Responsibilities
A phlebotomy technician is an individual who has been taught and trained to collect blood samples for his job in hospitals, pathology centers, and other organizations that require blood for storage such as blood banks, etc. Phlebotomists, as they are also known as, need to have passed certain tests and qualified as per the standards of the State to become Certified Phlebotomy Technicians as the CPT certificates or credentials issued by any recognized National Board are a must for any individual interested in pursuing a career as a phlebotomy technician. The job of a phlebotomy technician hence revolves mainly around collection of blood samples, yet there are a number of responsibilities that need to be handled, some of which have been described below.
Phlebotomy Technician Job Responsibilities:
- The basic responsibility of a phlebotomy technician is collection of blood samples and hence the individual needs to be extremely well-trained with the practice of drawing blood properly and safely, irrespective of its purpose or use.
- A phlebotomy technician is responsible for ensuring perfect safety in terms of avoiding the spread of any infectious or communicative disease due to improper ways of collecting blood, such as reuse of syringes, improper handling of tools, etc.
- A phlebotomy technician’s job is often concentrated to the collection of blood sample for pathology-based diagnosis, for which he is responsible for executing the task properly such that the patient can be diagnosed properly and also unharmed during the process of drawing blood and thereafter.
- Blood samples may often required at laboratories for research works, and the phlebotomy technician must be well-equipped with such knowledge required for proper drawing of the respective blood samples and is also responsible for keeping them in a proper manner to be sent effectively to the labs.
- A phlebotomy technician is often responsible for properly preserving blood samples at blood banks.
- A phlebotomy technician is responsible for assisting other individuals involved in collection of blood and related works. Also, he/she is required to help patients with necessary information regarding health conditions, diet, and other practices that may have an effect on the blood sample to be collected.
- A phlebotomy technician must be thoroughly trained with arterial collection techniques and other technicalities related to the subject such as venipuncture, skin puncture, etc.
Category: Technician Job Responsibilities