Surgical Nurse Practitioner Job Responsibilities
A surgical nurse practitioner deals with health problems of people and creates nursing plans that need to be implemented to improve the health of the patients. The patients that these nurses deal with are ill, injured, disabled and need constant medical care. They also form care routines that will help the patients to recover from surgery and will heal the wounds and cuts with ease. There are various responsibilities of these nurses and below given is a list of the major ones
Surgical Nurse Practitioner Job Responsibilities:
A surgical nurse practitioner must:
- Work in tandem with a healthcare team so that patients’ recovery plan may be formed.
- Monitor the patients’ conditions and in case of emergencies report them to a doctor.
- Maintain detailed and correct reports and records of the patients.
- Inform the families about the treatment procedures of the patients so that they know what is going on and what to expect.
- Keep a tab on the diet of the patient and also limit the patient’s physical activities in times of need. They also need to administer the right drugs in the right dosage at the correct time to the patients so that they may be in good health.
- Report any infections or allergies that the patients have when administered with a particular drug or treatment.
- Conduct laboratory tests of the blood, urine, stool or saliva samples of the patients.
- Make sure that the rooms in which the patients are staying are properly sterilized and sanitized.
- Prescribe or recommend drugs, medical devices, or other forms of treatment, such as physical therapy, inhalation therapy, or related therapeutic procedures.
- Order, interpret, and evaluate diagnostic tests to identify and assess patient’s condition.
- Understand how much anesthesia a patient requires, and administer the same in the proper dosage.
- Assist surgeons during operations and make sure that all the surgical apparatus are sterilized.
Category: Nursing Job Responsibilities